the girl code
I got quite gobby and outspoken yesterday about a twitter account called MrsTweetPerth which professed to be about all things that ladies like. Such as glamour events, champagne, and finding a husband.
Naturally my argument went along the lines of ‘who are you to speak on behalf of all ladies’
And ended with
Beks- not conforming to gender stereotypes since 1985.
The one bible verse (yep this post has bible verses and later swearing just to cancel each other out) that I always like was “do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world….” and then some shit about god and stuff.
So I’m not going to write a list of rules which people should follow. I’m going to write a list of rules which I (try) to follow.
1) Don’t be an asshat. Seriously Bek learn when to shut up.
2) Not everyone thinks that marriage is a patriarchal institution where a wedding ring is exchanged for a woman’s virginity. Most people just think they’re pretty. Seriously Bek, learn when to shut up.
3) Guys who act surprised to find a pink haired knitter likes football, cricket, and beer are asshats. Don’t tell them this. Seriously Bek, learn when to shut up.
4) Same as guys who think having a vagina means you don’t have a valid opinion on football. You don’t always need to argue the point. Seriously Bek, learn when to shut up.
5) When you wake up and find a drunk Irishman asleep on your couch, don’t just shut up. Say that this is not ok and you don’t appreciate random guys (which you don’t know) in your apartment. Seriously Bek, learn to stand up for yourself.
6) Don’t give a fuck about what people think. Unless you’re hurting someone you care about then stop. And then apologise. And apologise again. And then knit profusely.