I hated knitting these socks.
Sure the yarn was squishy, the colours were pretty and the pattern was simple enough.
But the yarn was low twist so it kept a splitting, the colours pooled badly, and I stuffed up the pattern really early on in the sock and didn’t want to go back and change it.
So they’d been languishing on the needles for a while as I worked on other projects.
Then the needle I was using for Olivia broke (4th needle that has broken on that project!), the stitch pattern on the shawl I had on the needles wasn’t working for me, I didn’t feel like crochet and I didn’t want to start a new project.
I had already turned the heel (fish lips kiss style) so I picked them up again. Told myself that I would knit until the end of the football game and then bind off. By the end of the game they weren’t really long enough when I tried them on my foot but I was so sick of the bloody things I just wanted them finished and was not at all prepared to spend any time doing the usual ribbing required of a sock.
So on a whim I figured an I-cord bind off would add some extra length, plus give them a bit of extra stretch and stability around the ankle.
(The socks have been strategically photographed to not show off my giant pattern fail!)
I freakin LOVE these socks now!!!!
The fit perfectly under low topped converse which I practically live in.
I don’t mind the mistakes because they’re under a shoe, and the icord bind off makes the yarn colours look great.
I am definitely going to use this bind off for socks more often now. Plus no time consuming ribbing.